Tuesday 24 February 2015

Who Do You Think You Are?

I have had a day, or at least and evening, of watching empowering woman speakers on TED talks. It has been good, i feel all woman powered up. I also feel like i can do anything and want to do everything.

 And then this video appeared:




First off i LOVE this lady, she is totally awesome. What caught my attention (more than her awesome coat and accent) was that bloody question "Who do you think you are?". This question has been asked of me so many times since the 1st of January 2015. I see it everywhere. Videos, adverts, at a church meeting i ended up in accidentally, strangers asked me on public transport. EVERYWHERE. Yet, even though i have been asked and made to think about the question i have totally avoided answering it. Even to myself.

I remember listening to an audio book as a child and the same question was raised to the characters in the story, and you know how these stories always have a sort of question or moral to challenge you at the end, this one said "Ask yourself who you are and what makes you you." I did, i wrote lists, i edited said lists i thought over and over, and could never define myself with anything i was happy to tell people. So i stopped trying to answer the stupid question. To this day have never found anything that defines Who I Think I am.

This is very frustrating, and i figured it would be something i naturally grew into knowing. However, this question has been persisting. It is on my mind, without being answered. Now i am starting to feel the answer wont just become me, i have to find the answer- i have to go searching. Look through everyone else's answers and decide Who I am.

This is the year i do that, or at least the year i start acknowledging the question, again, and decidedly coming up with and answer. I think i will be putting myself through experiences this year that will help me find out more about me and who i am.

I want to know because i want to know what i have to offer the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment